Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Only a Mom's Moment

Nolan, Haley and I went skating tonight with our friends, the Wilkes, and my niece, Lauren. Of course I have been taking my kids skating since they could walk because naturally it was one of my favorite childhood memories so I am hoping to create the same tradition for my kids. Anyways, in the past, Nolan and Haley would NEVER participate when it was time for the games and races. They would sit back shy, curious, and timid. Well tonight, Jennings said let's play and willingly Nolan and Haley went.

I watched them sit nervously through the instructions. Then Haley's age group was called to race. She lined up at the cones and STAYED there when her friend quickly decided to leave the floor. Haley was by far the smallest and youngest in her group. The whistle blew and off she went. She skated her heart out even though she was in last place! She had the biggest grin on her face, she was glowing from ear to ear. Haley was determined to finish the race. She kept trying harder and harder to pass the girl in front of her. This girl staying only a foot or two ahead. They were coming around the last corner just before the finish line and the other little girl fell and Haley went ahead, finishing next to last. She was so proud and I was MUCH prouder for her because she kept trying until the end. Haley skated off the floor to me and said, " Mommy, I really came in last because she beat me around the other three corners." That's my sweet girl, Haley!!! What she didn't realize is that she really won because all these years she wanted to go out and participate but never would and after tonight I bet she'll give it a second try!

Then, it was Nolan's turn for his first skate race. The whistle blew and he took off like lightening. I was nervously watching and hoping that he wouldn't fall at this fast pace. He was 7Th out of 12 coming around the first corner but was moving quickly. By the second corner, he had moved up two spots to 5Th place. As he rounded the third corner he passed another, being in fourth now, and then he JUMPED over the last corner cone trying to get around another skater and landed it beautifully as my heart sank, and he came across the finish line in third place! I was amazed by his competitive efforts to win. He did fabulous for his first race! Only a mom can express this feeling of accomplishment through the eye's of her own children. A night I'll always remember.

3 comments:

Florida Girl said...

I know all the feelings you are describing. I've had moments where I couldn't even look at what was going on. You live and die, rise and fall with every move they make. Sweet story Celena.

Heather O'Steen Photography said...

Aww, very sweet story Celena! What a great mom moment!

Catherine said...

Too cute...I can remember going to skate-n-space as a child and I didn't enter the races for fear I'd fall and break a leg! I am proud of them for giving it their all! Brandon is my only one out of 4 kids who likes to skate...I always loved to go to the rink as well...thanks for sharing and bringing back memories!